2017 Meat CSA
Crooked Gap farm is excited to offer our meat in a “Community Supported Agriculture” subscription to provide our meat to you year round. This prepaid membership will allow you to receive pre-assembled shares of our meat products to be enjoyed on a regular basis throughout the year. This is the perfect opportunity for those who don’t have freezer space for a whole or half hog and who like to cook with a variety of meats and cuts.
With our pork and lamb taking 9 months to reach maturity and our beef taking 24 months, pre-selling our meat through CSA subscriptions will help us plan for the year ahead accordingly in order to produce enough meat to reach customer demands. The upfront subscription fee will ensure that we have the necessary funds to raise out and process this meat as well. Our CSA will also allow us to regularly connect with our customers and our customers to connect with our farm, something that we hold great value in.
What Is in a Share:
We will select a variety of cuts for each delivery featuring our Heritage Breed Woodlot/Pastured Pork. Cuts might include chops, bacon, roasts, hams, ground, links, patties, and ribs. In addition, seasonal meats such as pastured broilers, grass-fed beef, or grass-fed lamb will be included in shares as they become available.
For each delivery, we will send out a newsletter describing what will be in the share you will be receiving. If you prefer to not receive a particular cut in your share, you may request a substitution of a Farmer’s Choice ground cut of an equal weight. You are welcome to purchase and add on additional meats and Crooked Gap Farm products to your delivery if you would like.
Subscriptions and Costs:
With the purchase of a CSA subscription, you will also receive a “Preferred Buyer” status which will allow you to place your order for additional cuts of meat before we open up general ordering for our delivery dates, giving you the opportunity to receive some of our limited cuts which are more difficult to get.
Our CSA subscriptions run the duration of one calendar year and are prepaid at the start of each year. You are welcome to partner up with friends or family to purchase a subscription, however, you must choose one contact person/family and personally divide your share up. If you would like to join after the start of the year, we are able to pro-rate our CSA subscriptions for the remainder of the calendar year.
Budgeting Option: Although a complete payment greatly helps us plan our production for the year, we understand not everyone is able to pay all at once. As a budgeting option, we are offering scheduled payments with an additional $15 charge per payment.
- Full Subscription: $1325 / 24 shares ~ 216 lbs of meat
– Delivered twice per month over the duration of one calendar year
– Broken down :: $55.20/ share with approximately 9 lbs of meat ($6.13 per pound)
- Half Subscription: $700 / 24 shares ~ 108 lbs of meat
– Delivered twice per month over the duration of one calendar year
– Broken down :: $29.16 / share with approximately 4.5 lbs of meat ($6.48 per pound)
- Quarter Subscription: $360 / 12 shares ~ 54 lbs of meat
– Delivered once per month over the duration of one calendar year
– Broken down :: $30.00 / share with approximately 4.5 lbs of meat ($6.67 per pound)
The following Subscription Add-On options are available to our CSA members.
- Farmcrafted Soap Add-On Option $45 / add-on 12 bars of soap / add-on
Our natural, fragrance free soap is handmade here on our farm using as many ingredients as possible that are produced on our farm, gathered from local sources, or commonly found available on a farm. Not only are our long-lasting bars of soap gentle on all skin types, but they are also loaded with glycerine and will leave your skin feeling incredibly soft and moisturized.We will select one bar of soap for you each month for every Farmcrafted Soap Add-On you purchase. These soaps will be a combination of smooth soaps and exfoliating soaps, which can also be used for a smooth wash by first working up a lather in your hands. More information on our different soaps and ingredients used can be found on our website.
Each share is pre-assembled with our frozen meats at our farm and delivered to members for pick-up up the following dates, unless otherwise communicated. (CSA members with quarter subscriptions will need to choose which delivery date they prefer.) Subscribers will choose one of the following locations for their deliveries:
- Knoxville Option: arranged pickup after the first and third Tuesday of the month
- Pella Option: first Thurday of the month
- The Cheese Shop (DSM): first and third Tuedsay evening of the month
- Midwest Acupuncture(Urbandale): third Tuesday of the month
- Any other location where we receive enough interest: dates to be determined
Meat CSA members are responsible for picking up their shares during the delivery time allotted for the location they have chosen. If you are unable to make your pick up last minute, we request that you call us due to our drive. You are welcome to meet us at another location if applicable, you may arrange a pick up at our farm, or we can hold one share’s worth until the following delivery.
Occasionally we must reschedule a delivery due to weather conditions or an unexpected event. As this may be a last minute decision, we suggest that you check your e-mail prior to leaving, especially in the case of bad weather. Should this happen, we will reattempt our delivery the following week or you are welcome to arrange a pick up at our farm.
How to Subscribe:
To make active your CSA subscription, we will need to have received your completed and signed Subscription Contract and payment. Payment is due in full and can be paid by cash or check. (Credit and PayPal are also available with an additional 3% charge to cover fees so we can continue to offer maximum value in our subscription prices.)
Please e-mail us for a full 2017 CSA Subscription Guide and Contract.
Renewal and Subscription Changes:
Customers with current subscriptions have first options of renewing or upgrading their subscriptions for the next year in the following order.
Because we plan and set up our production based on purchased subscriptions, we have established the below policies for subscription changes. Thank you for your understanding of the impact on our farm in these circumstances.
- You are welcome to upgrade your subscription with a pro-rated fee at any point during the year if openings remain. Subscriptions may not be downsized unless we have a waiting list or you are able to find a substitute to assume the other portion of your subscription.
- Purchased subscriptions may be canceled and refunded before the first pickup if we have a waiting list or you have a substitute to assume your CSA subscription. In the case that we still have open subscriptions or do not have a waiting list, you must find a substitute to assume your subscription in order to receive a refund.
A CSA Isn’t for Me:
If you are interested in purchasing our individual cuts of meat through our twice a month deliveries, but none of our CSA options fit for your family, you are welcome to place orders after we have filled our CSA shares and CSA members’ add on orders. Please click here us to join our mailing list. In addition to individual cuts of meat, we also have our Heritage Breed Woodlot/Pastured Pork available for purchase as whole and half hogs.